Sunday, November 7, 2010

Diagnosis

Well, I know have an official diagnosis of sorts. Its complicated but they want to do more testing and stuff. Basically I have diabetes and now get to start the journey of revamping my life to deal with this disease. Its tough some days. Especially when I am craving a sour cream glazed donut or French fries. But I am getting through. I am learning to read labels even more than I already did. I was always a healthy eater but now I need to really cut back on fat and sugar which is a challenge. It means that I can eat hardly any processed foods/fast food/dessert, etc. Not that I ate a lot of any of those things but the occasional Jr bacon cheeseburger from Wendy's is a pretty important part of my diet! =)

I have been doing some more work on my new project and have discovered that its very hard to make brownies taste delicious without using fat. However, I have discovered some sweet muffins that are really good for you with no fat (besides a few almonds). Stay tuned for the recipe. I will also be putting up a new recipe for a pasta sauce containing vegetables, chicken, cheese, and no fat beyond the cheese. Here's a tip for you: when trying to cut back on fat try using a nonstick frying pan to cook and don't add oil or butter to the pan. Most things will cook fine without added fat. If it seems too dry you can add a bit of stock or water to help it cook.

No comments: